Friday, May 23, 2008

Kellee's Chocolate Chip Cookies

I got this recipe out of the Betty Crocker Cook Book (this is a favorite cook book of mine... everything you need to know about cooking. I really recommend this cookbook to anyone who cooks. I learned to cook from this book).

Anyway, back to cookies. I bake these all the time and I'm told that they are the best chocolate chip cookies ever. I've repeatedly given out the recipe.

The secret to making perfect chocolate chip cookies though is in the temperature. The dough should be cold before cooking. Never microwave your butter to soften it. Let it sit on the counter a while. Then when the dough is mixed... stick it in the fridge for about 1/2 hour. The warmer the dough, the flatter the cookie's will be after you bake them. So to keep them plump, keep the dough colder (this usually goes for all cookie dough).

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I always use light brown when cooking these cookies)
1 cup stick butter softened
1 large egg
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 package semi sweet chocolate chips (12 ounces) or 2 cups

1. Heat oven to 375
2. Mix sugars, butter and egg in large bowl (with beater). Stir in flour baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips (with spoon... believe me or not, but the way you mix up these cookies does make a difference).
3. Bake 8-10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

**These cookies will turn out perfect if you follow directions precisely, but once you fiddle with them, they won't be as good... I know because I've tried.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know a trick with hard butter that I use once in awhile.....If it's frozen (which is how I store my stick butter) or even just a little hard to mix from being in the fridge, and you are in a hurry.....you can grate your butter into your recipe and it works great! If you have a food processor, this makes it easy, if not, a hand grater works great too! Let me know Kellee if you don't prefer this, but I know with my cookies it has always worked out great!

Kellee said...

Hey Chels,
That is such a great idea. I've never tried it, but I think that would work great! I love sharing all of our ideas!!