Saturday, June 7, 2008

Butt Chowder...HALIBUT that is...



This is one of my FAVORITE things to make. I love, love, LOVE it. My recipe is for Halibut, but really, you can use it for anything. I have substituted with smoked salmon, corn, clam, ham, whatever you have or love. Kellee, this would be just as wonderful with Flounder. It is so easy, and delicious. Soups are my favorite thing to cook. I usually don't measure anymore, and I love to substitute with it. Just make it your own!!! Oh, and since this site is all about tips...here is a good one. The tip for cooking soups is to not use water...use broths. It adds sooo much more flavor to you soups and stews. And when it calls for flour or corn starch for thickening...use flaked potatoes...then you never have to worry about clumping and it thickens just as good. 

1-1 1/2 lb. Halibut filets cut into 1-2 inch pieces (I usually use 2-3 medium filets)
1 1/2 c cubed ham - (You can also use bacon, but I think the taste of bacon is too overpowering.)
1 c chopped onion
5 c chicken broth
5-6 potatoes diced
1 c celery diced
1 c half and half - (I usually use fat free to reduce on fat!!!)
Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste

I also sometimes add corn, carrots, whatever I have. Not only does it add substance, it adds color too!

In a large stockpot saute ham and onion until tender. Add chicken broth, potatoes and celery; bring to boil. Cover and reduce to simmer; cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in halibut and cook 5 minutes.

Stir in cream; bring to boil and cook 3 minutes longer. Add seasonings to taste, if it needs to be thicker add potato flakes, if it is too thick, and more chicken broth. At this point it just comes down to playing around and making it what you like. 

Now you just sit down and enjoy!!! YUMMY!


3 comments:

Kellee said...

This looks absolutley wonderful!! I love making soups too! I can't wait for a cloudy summers day... because I'm making this! MMMMMMM! love, Kell

Unknown said...

Love the tips!!! I'm way excited to make this too - Crappie anyone?? Lanee's favorite fish of course, and the kind we always have enough of!! I'll let you know if it turns out! Sounds soooo good!!

Kellee said...

I forgot to mention that I love the tip about the potatoes!! What a great idea!!!