Friday, May 23, 2008

Let's talk MEATLOAF

Meat loaf is one of my favorite things to cook for my family!! One, it is delicious and everyone loves it. And two, it is so easy to make. Here are a couple of my favorite recipes. Don't forget meatloaf sandwiches the next day.... MMMMM!

Meatloaf
I originally got this recipe from the betty crocker cook book, but I've made it my own.

1 pound ground meat (I usually use venison)
3/4 cup milk
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard (dry)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic finely chopped or 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 large egg
3 slices bread torn into small pieces or 3/4 cup quick cooking oats or 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (I usually use the oats or bread crumbs).
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce or ketchup (we like barbecue sauce best).

1. Heat oven to 350
2. Mix all ingredients except BBQ sauce. Spread mixture in un-greased loaf pan. Spread BBQ sauce over top.
3. Bake for 1 t0 1 1/4 hours or until meat thermometer reads 160. Let stand 5 minutes.


Meatloaf surprise (by Aunt Kaye... Dad says Grandma Maxine used to make this also). This is really good too!

1/2 cup onions 1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 egg 1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt 1/8 tsp pepper
1 1b ground meat
Combine

3/4 cup boiling water 2 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup milk 1 egg
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cup potato flakes
1/4 tsp salt
Mix together

Divide burger mixture in half. Place in 9x9 baking dish (or loaf pan) and flatten out. Put potato filling. Put the rest of the burger mixture on top. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.

**When Dad was here visiting we were talking about Grandma Maxine's meatloaf and he told me she would add a can of cream of mushroom soup to her meatloaf instead of milk. I'm going to try this the next time I'm making meatloaf and give it a shot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love Aunt Kaye's recipe too, thanks for posting this. I'm so glad that you shared Grandma Maxine's "Cream of Mushroom" Secret!! Sounds like it will be DELICIOUS!! I'm excited to try it!